Featured Page

November 28, 2013

The 480-505-8859 Mystery

Did 480-505-8859 call your phone?

Last Updated: August 18, 2016

A few months ago my cell phone began receiving calls from 1-480-505-8859. I'm a Godaddy.com customer and their customer service number ends with 8877 -- as you can see, only eighteen "digits" down from Godaddy's number.

telephone number 4805058859 calls repeatedly


Since it looks like Godaddy's number, I don't always answer -- they like to call once in awhile, usually to remind me that a domain is going to expire, et cetera. But the calls persisted; sometimes I'd get them twice a day.

Then 1-480-505-8859 Gets... Really... Weird.


So I picked up -- and here's where it gets seriously weird.

A voice on the other end asked for me by my full name -- "is this FIRST LAST?"

"Maybe. Who's calling?"

The caller ignored my interrogatory and started trying to ask personal questions. All while the voices of other operators in what sounds suspiciously like a boiler room operation are going on in the background.

I interrupted to ask for the company name of who was calling -- and promptly got hung up on.

I suppose one could get steamed, but hey, at least they're done and probably won't call back. That's how an operation like that would react, yes?

No. To my amazement, they call back. A bit incensed, I now answer and a different operator launches into exactly the same hard pitch -- I interrupt with something to the effect of, "did you know that someone else at your office called earlier today then hung up on me?"

And then they hung up on me, too.

A few days or so would pass, and they'd call again. This time I decided to see how far down the script I could get, as I was definitely interested in deciphering who they are.

I interrupted the hard sell once again, and told the erratic-sounding gentleman on the other end I needed to know exactly who I was dealing with before he could make a sale.

"Uh..." With some persistence, I managed to drag multiple obviously-pieced-together-on-short-notice company names, multiple street addresses, and one check with a "supervisor" before he hung up on me.

And there was an instance somewhere in the fog of nonsensically persistent calls where I told one employee to get an honest job before disconnecting on her, for a change.

Takeaways:

  • If this number is calling you, there is literally no point in answering the phone, telling them at some point you're going to file a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General (the number they are using suggests they are in the Phoenix metro) and other appropriate authorities, hanging up on them, et cetera.
  • This number really does not appear to be Godaddy. I actually called their customer service number today and had a pleasant talk with a Jim at Godaddy, and we swaped information and it appears most likely that it's either a coincidence or the operation that's calling chose that number on purpose.
  • They definitely had my first and last name, and of course my cell number. They referenced that I "had indicated interest" in starting/running a business or something to that effect, and that they were associated with Visa or MasterCard and/or a merchant processing service.

 

Is (480) 505-8859 Possibly a Passive Aggressive Boiler Room Operator?


It seems they may perceive keeping you on their call list as a sort of odd way of trying to extract a revenge of sorts. That or they're so lazy and brazen as to just not care to remove even the numbers that push back against their behavior.

It's just darn weird.

Anyway, I'm really interested in sending this out and hopefully finding people who've gotten "the calls" from this number. If that's you, I'd really like you to leave a comment below and tell me what's going on. We can all share.

Again, be sure to leave a comment below if this number ever called you.


21 comments:

  1. i just signed up for a godaddy account yesterday and got a call from this number today, so that fact does make it seem like there is at least some nominal connection between these guys an go daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm agree with anonymous above. I had a bit of an ordeal with GoDaddy over the last week and had to sign up for an auction account. That was yesterday and then I got a call from this number today.

    I really didn't want to give them my phone number in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a call also within a month of signing up with GoDaddy. Obviously they are connected. I just blocked the number after a third call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so this is a call from a work from home, is what I have gathered. It seems to be GODADDY sales team as I have a business email account purchased through GODADDY and it is expiring soon, and they had that information. I am sure I am virus free so the information would have been obtained from GODADDY directly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, just signed up for a Go Daddy account and have been getting calls (MANY calls) from this number...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So frustrating! I wish I had just paid some other company a little more for the domain, to avoid getting these irritating phone calls -- this is the last time I use Go Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see all the comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ANSWERED:

    Scammers are checking domain names registered to godaddy and then doing a Whois lookup. Then they call your number, say they are with godaddy and ask for you personally. Then they try to get more credit card info so they can scam you. They most likely already have your address because most people use their billing address as their WHOIS address.

    Never give any information over the phone unless you call the line specifically. People can fake certain numbers on caller ID.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These guys must be busy - they just started calling me on 4-18-14, too. I have a website through GoDaddy and it sure does sound reasonable that these are scammers. Fortunately, I have a skype number for a business lins. Please allow me to hijack your post for a minute to mention that skype is AWFUL and I now only use the line for outgoing calls. Incoming calls only ring half the time, and an email message saying I missed a call sometimes comes through DAYS later - NEVER get skype - sorry, off the soapbox, and thanks for posting this helpful information!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just signed up through GoDaddy and these calls have started. I do not respond, and they leave no message. Thanks for documenting this and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousMay 08, 2015

    I also have been getting several calls a day since setting up my website through godaddy a few days ago...and came across this site when I searched that number.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousMay 12, 2015

    When I answer and they want to offer me an opportunity, I sound very excited and tell them I have signed up with another company and I'm making lots of money. I ask for their email so I can help them make lost of money. Normally, they hang up on me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just signed up with GoDaddy yesterday and I just got a call from this number too! I don't answer calls I don't know, so I immediately got on the web to research it, and found your thread. Thank you all for posting, I for sure won't answer the phone if they call back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousJuly 09, 2015

    I have never had any kind of Go Daddy account, I have never ever even thought of having one, I don't own my own business and yet I keep getting calls from this number on my cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just talked to GoDaddy. They said this is an inbound GoDaddy number that will place you in a generic queue. The rep told me they do not make outbound calls from this number and that GoDaddy service/sales will typically will leave a vmail. The hunch is that scammers are spoofing the number and posing as GoDaddy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I received a call from this number on 1/18/16 at 10:22 a.m. EST. Guy was American and said he was from godaddy. He asked if I was having any problems. I asked if he was asking if their website worked properly and said it did. He chuckled. Then he asked if I was happy with their service. I said yes. He said something like they were just checking.
    I have several domain names, but no active website through godaddy. I do have an auction account.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The caller ID comes up as "Godaddy CDT" but nomorobo blocks it, so I assume it is a scam.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I received a voicemail from this number. It was a GoDaddy call. It indicated that I was a recent customer, which isn't true--I've been doing business with them for 7 years. I chose to not return the call as I question whether it is valid.

    ReplyDelete
  19. AnonymousMay 12, 2016

    This is a scam, received several calls, called GoDaddy and verified this is only used for incoming and not out going calls.

    ReplyDelete
  20. AnonymousJune 09, 2016

    480-505-8859 is a GoDaddy sales number. I left GoDaddy for Weebly 2 months ago. Been getting lots of calls from this number for the last week with no message left. Called the number & there is a GoDaddy recording. I also called GoDaddy Corp today 480-505-8877 to verify if this is in fact a legit GoDaddy #.
    They said it was one of their sales numbers.
    The original GoDaddy sold a few years ago. It has gone down hill since. That's why we left after doing business with them for 12 yrs. This isn't a scame...it's just GoDaddy at its worse.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've started getting calls from this number, usually 2 times a day for a few days in a row, then a pause for a week or so. It's pretty darned annoying. Yes, I have multiple GoDaddy services/domains. However, they NEVER called my cell phone before. And it always said "GoDaddy". Funny, but when I had a domain expire that was a desirable name (credit card expired) they did nothing to contact me and sold it within a week. I contacted them 3 weeks later, and they told me I could buy it back! Nice. They're on my black list and I plan to move my domains elsewhere at some point.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?
I'd LOVE to hear your comment or any information you wish to share!
Just type your message below -- you DON'T NEED AN ACCOUNT to comment, just start typing!